Book Title: 100 Facts - Victorian Britain
Author: Miles Kelly
Format: Paperback | 48 pages
Publication Date: 15 Aug 2015
100 Facts Victorian Britain is bursting with mind-blowing images, fun activities and exactly 100 awesome Victorian facts for kids. Children will learn everything they need to know about life under the rule of Queen Victoria.
100 Facts Victorian Britain contains key topics about Queen Victoria's long reign in concise numbered facts. Information is accompanied by amazing illustrations and photographs that put unbelievable facts into context for young learners.
Essential topics covered in 100 Facts Victorian Britain:
- Queen Victoria's royal family and the great British Empire
- The Industrial Revolution boom, factory life and being sent to the workhouse
- Improvements in health and travel, and the start of the Modern Age
Examples of 'I don't believe it' fascinating facts:
- British law said that no man was allowed to propose to the queen, so Victoria had to ask for Albert's hand in marriage!
- Rich Victorian women had to suffer to look good - they wore whalebone corsets strengthened with steel that must have been agony to wear.
- When Victoria's death was announced, people wore black, and black and purple banners were hung from shop windows. Iron fences were given a fresh coat of black paint to mark the occasion.
Activities to make learning accessible and interactive include:
- Quiz question: Which Christmas tradition was introduced in 1846?
- Rearrange the sentences shown in this panel to find the names of four famous books
- Make Victorian ice cream using sugar, milk and vanilla essence
Author: Jeremy Smith
Consultant: Fiona Macdonald
Dimensions: 9 X 12
Format: Paperback with holographic foil